Author(s): Trey Anthony
The essential guide to self-love that every black woman needs; you can create the life you deserve - no matter what you've been told in the past.
After a lifetime of never truly relating to personal development experts because of the colour of her skin, Trey Anthony has written the book she needed to read as a black, gay woman trying to navigate a world filled with unique challenges that often acts like she doesn't exist.
On the outside Trey Anthony was the overachieving, reliable, strong black woman she was raised to be, but on the inside the pressure of sacrificing her own needs to please others was building. When her grandmother and mother raised her strong, they also unknowingly taught her that self-love and expressing emotions was weak, creating an unhealthy dynamic that had Trey facing burnout and rock bottom.
In Black Girl in Love (with Herself), Trey breaks down the lessons and tools that she used to heal her life, including how to:
- set clear and healthy boundaries - even with the people who raised you
- quit being the family ATM
- figure out who is a real friend, and who is just there for parties and gossip
- confront micro-aggressions at work without missing a beat
- forget who black women are 'supposed' to be
- and fall in love with yourself